Petro Mold Company
1987 Christmas Tree Lot 1988 Woodshed, axe and Logs
1989 News Stand, Hydrant and Street Sign 1990 Horse Drawn Firewagon
Supplies by Mayco
General Directions: Begin with properly cleaned and fired 06 bisque. Thin down White and apply over entire piece to get into all detail. When dry, apply another coat of undiluted White. Allow to dry. Apply Hyacinth Blue in small areas wiping back for highlights until entire piece is covered. Dampen a soft cloth with Solvent to wipe back further highlights for an overall even look. Spray with Porcelain Mist to set translucent color. Reminder: In this technique, sometimes more than one coat of translucent is necessary. Therefore, the color must be sprayed between each coat, to protect the first layer.
Basic for all pieces
1. Apply Black Forest TL to all grass. Spray. Drybrush Artichoke then tip into Golden Ochre to highlight. Highlight further with Brightest Yellow and White.
2. Use Black TL for all cobblestones and sidewalks. Randomly drybrush a few stones with Brick Red, Light Gray, Mink and Wedgewood Blue. Highlight sidewalks with Light Gray then tip into White to further highlight.
Mold # 1987 - Christmas Tree Lot
1. Apply 2 coats Black Forest TL to all trees and eave. Spray. Drybrush a few trees Jade Green then tip into Light Gray to highlight. For remaining trees, drybrush Artichoke then tip into Brightest Yellow to highlight. Tip into White to further highlight. Drybrush eave with Artichoke.
2. Apply Black TL to roof, door, window and door trim and sign. Drybrush window and door trim and sign Light Gray then highlight White.
3. Use Cocoa Twinkle for door and roof. Spray. Drybrush with Chocolate Fudge then tip into Light Umber to highlight. With color still in brush, tip into Golden Ochre then into White to further highlight.
4. Apply 2 coats of Holiday Red to building slats except primary trim. Evenly drybrush trim White. With clean brush, drybrush slats with Brick Red the tip into Golden Ochre to highlight where slats start and stop.
Mold #1988 - Wood Shed, Logs & Stump
1. Apply Golden Jubilee Twinkle to entire shed, tree stump outer bark and outer layer of logs. Spray. Apply Cocoa Twinkle to outer bark on stump and logs; spray.
2. Use Black Forest TL for roof shingles and grass. Wipe highlights and spray. For roof, drybrush Black Forest then tip into Light Gray to highlight. Paint eave Flat Black.
3. Drybrush dirt and shed Mississippi Mud then highlight with Mink. Tip into Light Gray to highlight shed then into White to highlight dirt.
4. For outer bark of logs and stump, drybrush Dark Brown then tip into Chocolate to highlight. Highlight further with Light Gray. Drybrush the cut ends with Light Tan then tip into Light Umber and White to further highlight.
5. Paint axe handle Golden Ochre and axe head Flat Black. Highlight handle with Light Tan and White. Drybrush axe head Sculptured Bronze and highlight Shimmering Silver.
Mold #1989 – News stand, Street Sign, Fire Hydrant
1. Apply 2 coats of Holiday Red to hydrant, spray. Highlight with Brick Red.
2. Drybrush sign centers with Light Gray. Detail with Flat Black. Paint sign post Flat Black. Lightly drybrush with a brush mix of Accent Green and Bronze. Tip into Light Gray and Jade Green for a brush mix to lightly highlight post. Apply Hi-Gloss Sealer to sign centers.
3. Apply 2 coats of Walnut to wood areas of newsstand. Spray and allow to dry. Drybrush with Medium Mocha then tip into Golden Ochre to highlight. Tip into White to further highlight. Detail sign with Flat Black and Golden Ochre.
4. Drybrush newspapers and center of sign with Light Gray then tip into White to highlight. With thinned down Flat Black, add details to papers. With random colors, wash a few “magazine covers” with color.
5. Detail newsstand as much or as little as desired. Remember, many newsstands were old scraps of wood built around or on top of old crates.
Mold # 1990 - Horse-drawn Fire Wagon
1. Apply 2 coats of Maple to horses. Spray between coats and allow to dry. Now apply Golden Toffee to horses, spray. Drybrush bodies with Golden Ochre then highlight hooves, pastern, tail, mane and nose with Lt. Yellow Orange. Tip into White to further highlight.
2. Heavily drybrush harness and shaft with Dark Brown. Highlight with Chocolate then lightly highlight harness with Golden Ochre. Paint rivets, blinders and bridle Flat Black highlight blinders with Light Gray. Highlight rivets with Bronze.
3. Apply 2 coats of Black TL to wagon, spray. When dry, drybrush wheel spokes, body of wagon and footrest Brick Red. Tip into Christmas Red to highlight. Refer to photo often for all color placements. Paint inside wheel spokes, hoses, rear box and rings around tank Flat Black. Drybrush rings Bronze.
4. Paint tank, hose ends, detail wheels and whistle Glorious Gold. Detail wheel caps Flat Black. Detail rivets on red areas black and rivet on black areas with bronze. Drybrush seat Flat Black. Spray with Hi Gloss Sealer. When dry, drybrush seat with Flat Black to indicate a worn area.
Contact Us Toll Free - US only: 888-811-6653
International or cell phone calls - 814-796-6635
Send email to
questions or comments about this web site.